Sunday, January 11, 2015

10 Years of Blog

I have been running this blog for ten years now.  Its been rather busy and interesting.  I've had some serious UPs in life and major CRASHES.  Some I've talked about here.  Some I have not.  I wrote some popular essays on paleo topics when the paleoblogosphere was far more healthy.  I've shared crazy thoughts as well.  The original content fell as I became busy and yet my traffic grew immensely.

After ten years, its time for a change. 

Between now and June 1, I am going to be winding down the regular postings and transitioning to only posts of original content.  This will end up reducing my traffic significantly: discontinuing the late night posting dropped my traffic from around 1600 hits per day to 1000.  However, there will be more posts of the XenoPermian, my family, crazy thoughts, paleo essays etc.  

And it will be a lot less work.

First up to clip is the 5:30 pm posts (and later) and 6 am post.  I'll be folding the 5:30 pm/6 pm into the 5 PM slot.  The precambrian posts will be in the paleoenvironment slot at 2 pm.  The 3:30 and 4:30 PM posts are no longer going to continue at this point.  Militaria will be restricted to the 3 & 4 PM slots.

February 6th and March 6th will have a couple original content posts each.  February 6th will have the "What to do About the Robopocalypse?" Crazy Thought post and another XenoPermian post.  March is undecided at this point.

The next 'downshift' for posting will be March 26th.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! Ten years is a long time, and you set a blistering pace.

Will Baird said...

Yup.

The pace needs to slow. I am too busy and have been largely treating this like a newspaper. But without the income!

I wanted to see this past year if I could raise the viewership enough to justify the work. Somewhat, but...after consideration, it was time to start ratcheting things down to just the original stuff a la Noel.